Caring Therapists of Broward & Palm Beach offers Learning Disabilities Evaluations. Our office is conveniently located in Davie & Wellington and we offer assessments to people in all of Florida. We have evening and weekend hours available for those who need an evaluation completed after-hours.
Learning disabilities can affect a person at any age. They are neurological problems that affect the ability to process information, which can interfere with learning basic skills such as reading, writing and/or math.
They can also interfere with higher level skills such as organization, time management, abstract reasoning, long or short-term memory, and attention.
Types of Learning Disabilities
Dyslexia (also known as Reading Disorder)
- Difficulty learning letters, names, and sounds
- Struggling with Phonemic Awareness (rhyme, blend, manipulate)
- Letter/Number reversal
- Trouble decoding
- Makes many spelling errors
- Frequently has to re-read sentences and passages
- Reads at a lower academic level than how she speaks
- Difficulty understanding questions and following directions
- Difficulty recalling numbers in sequence (for example, telephone numbers and addresses
Dysgraphia (also known as Disorder of Written Expression)
- Tense and awkward Fine Motor (pen or pencil grip)
- Very poor handwriting
- Difficulty with Visual Spatial writing (discrimination and spacing)
- Problems with grammar
- Trouble writing down ideas
- A quick loss of energy and interest while writing
- Trouble writing down thoughts in a logical sequence
- Leaving words unfinished or omitting them when writing sentences
Dyscalculia (also known as Mathematics Disorder)
- Impaired number sense
- Inability to estimate or compare
- Difficulty with Spatial Relations (maps, routes, or graphs)
- Problems understanding basic arithmetic concepts, such as fractions, number lines, and math-related word problems
- Messiness in putting math problems on paper
- Trouble recognizing logical information sequences (for example, steps in math problems)
We can diagnose learning disabilities by conducting cognitive and achievement tests that will identify your areas of strengths and weaknesses. These tests will provide a list of interventions and accommodations should there be a need.
Learning disabilities can be diagnosed at any age. There are no medications or medical treatments for learning disabilities, therefore individualized support is necessary for success in education, career and life.
To schedule your learning disabilities evaluation or to gather more information, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org | 954-378-5381
For adults, we specialize in depression, anxiety, trauma, couples counseling, college students, psychological testing, addiction counseling, women’s issues, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.