Dealing with grief is one of the most devastating things in life that we must unfortunately experience. The finality of losing someone we love can cause us to feel angry, anxious or depressed.
When dealing with grief, it may feel like you can’t move forward, or you don’t know how you can continue living in a world without your loved one in it.
To help deal with these intense and overwhelming emotions, turning to meditation can help. Meditation is a practice of calm and silence, where the frenetic thoughts and worries in your mind are quieted for a moment of reflection or mindfulness. Through meditation, you can begin to calm your emotions, assess your feelings, and come to a place of acceptance and peace.
A Meditation to Cope with Grief:
- Choose a quiet, comfortable space to sit where you can be alone for 15 to 20 minutes. Play some soft ambient music if you like.
- Close your eyes and begin by taking slow, mindful and natural deep breaths: in through the nose, then slowly exhale.
- Try to push away any thoughts or worries and concentrate only on being in this moment.
- Think of the face of the person you’re missing, and imagine them before you, now. You can imagine that their spirit is there with you, or you can simply envision their face.
- Express anything you’d like to them. Focus on making the conversation loving and compassionate. If you’d like, you can re-imagine a memory. Put yourself back in time with your loved one and imagine experiencing everything in that moment.
- Thank your loved one for coming to visit you. Imagine a peaceful and gentle goodbye.
- Slowly bring your awareness back to the room. Feel the energy of yourself from the top of your head to your toes as you take slow and natural deep breaths.
Try this meditation any time you feel the need to do so.
There are apps you can download for your smartphone or tablet to help guide you through different meditations; just search for “meditation” in the App Store. You can also search YouTube for “meditations for grief” and try the guided meditations available there for free.
There is no one way to grieve; everyone grieves differently. There’s also no time table or deadline. The journey of grief is a very personal one, and the only way to get through it is to deal with the emotions you’re experiencing as they come.
If you’re having trouble moving forward after losing someone you love and would like some help, please give me a call today so we can set up an appointment.
Amanda Landry, LMHC, CAP decided to become a therapist while attending Nova Southeastern University. She saw the need to help people achieve the life they wanted to live, while creating a life of her own. She completed her master’s in Mental Health Counseling and started a career in the juvenile justice arena. Since then, she has started a private practice in Pembroke Pines, Florida, specializing in depression, anxiety relationship issues, and substance abuse. Amanda is a believer in holistic treatment and she practices veganism, meditation and yoga in her life. Find out more about her practice here. For a free 15-minute consultation, call or text Amanda at 954-378-5381 or email her at email@example.com.